Reports to: IT Shared Services Manager
Type: Term Position – June 2016 through September 2016, at 37.5 hours per week
Location: Sidney, BC.
Hours: Mon – Friday generally between 7:00am and 6:00pm. Some early morning, evening and/or weekend work may be required
On-Call: May be required
AXYS Analytical Services Ltd. is a growing specialty analytical company, delivering client-oriented results through scientific excellence in analytical chemistry for 40 years. AXYS data supports businesses of a global client base and frequently informs decisions of local and global environmental significance, from North America to Europe, Asia and the Polar Regions. Located on Canada’s Pacific coast in an area of pristine natural beauty and in close proximity to historic Victoria and cosmopolitan Vancouver, we offer the rare balance of a challenging and rewarding career combined with superb year-round recreational opportunities.
We are seeking an IT Systems Support to provide technical support to users of the AXYS Group of companies as well as maintain the IT and communication systems infrastructure.
The AXYS Group is comprised of 3 companies. It is a medium-scale deployment with approximately 200 desktops, 40 servers and a wide range of systems.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Deploy new systems into production (hardware, software, network & peripherals);
- Assist in system migrations;
- Maintain the reliability and availability of the Groups IT systems;
- Ensure that user access to the computer system is available and reliable;
- Respond to user requests in an appropriately prioritized manner;
- Document changes using ticketing system;
- Provide support for communications systems;
- Ensure new system components are tested before being installed on user’s workstations to ensure the product works as warranted and to understand the details that make it continue to operate well;
- Adhere to the expectations outlined in AXYS’s Code of Ethics; and
- Stay informed of the advances in technology.
Skills & Experience
- Three years’ experience;
- Experience with medium scale deployments of:
- Windows environments;
- Microsoft Server technologies;
- Backup & Replication technologies;
- Microsoft Productivity software; and
- Networking technologies;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, service-oriented environment;
- Excellent organization, communication, and documentation skills;
- Proven capability to work responsibly and reliably with minimum supervision; and
- College degree (or equivalent work experience)
What will set you apart
- Experience with the systems & technologies used in the AXYS Group:
- Desktops: Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Servers: Microsoft Server 2012 R2-2003, SUSE Linux (SLES) 10 SP3
- Application Servers / services: Microsoft Active Directory, Remote Desktop Services, DNS, DHCP, DFS, and FTP; Oracle Forms & Reports10G, Intuitive ERP, Chempax C/S, QPulse, MS Dynamics GP 2013, Exchange Server 2007, SharePoint 2007, BMC Track-IT, Xwall 3.51, Systems Center Essentials, Symantec Endpoint
- Databases: MS SQL-Server 2012-2008, Oracle Database 10G, R2, MySQL 5.6.x
- Virtualization Technologies: Hyper-V 2012 VMware (ESXi 5.65 & 4.1)
- Back-up Systems: Symantec Backup Exec
- Network Technologies; HP, Del, and Sonicwall
- Telephone Systems: Avaya and Shoretel
- Productivity Software: MS Office 2013-20007, MS Visio, & MS Project
- Legacy OSes: Windows XP SP3, Open VMS 7.X
- Oracle and Linux experience/certification(s)
- Hyper-V or VMWare certification(s)
- Microsoft certification(s)
- ITIL certification(s)
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position.
Applications that do not include resume or cover letter may not be considered.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.