Reports to: Lab Supervisor
Type: Full Time position
Location: Sidney, BC.
AXYS Analytical Services Ltd. is a growing specialty analytical company, delivering client-oriented results through scientific excellence in analytical chemistry for 40 years. AXYS data supports businesses of a global client base and frequently informs decisions of local and global environmental significance, from North America to Europe, Asia and the Polar Regions. Located on Canada’s Pacific coast in an area of pristine natural beauty and in close proximity to historic Victoria and cosmopolitan Vancouver, we offer the rare balance of a challenging and rewarding career combined with superb year-round recreational opportunities.
Sample and Extract Preparation Chemists are focused on preparation, extraction and chromatographic clean up of environmental and biological matrices.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Application of analytical chemistry techniques and proprietary methods to allow detailed qualitative and quantitative mass-spec analysis of contaminants to Canadian and international clients;
- Efficient and reliable SOP-directed bench-chemistry coupled with complete and accurate documentation to ensure sample contents unequivocally match data deliverables and meet client expectations;
- Maintaining a clean lab environment, preserving the integrity of samples;
- Constantly practicing prescribed safety methods to prevent injury and illness in the work place;
- Fast and considered decision-making to take remedial action as necessary;
- Team-participation in meeting production schedule deadlines and excellent communication with colleagues and supervisors to avoid or mitigate threats to meeting goals; and
- Adhering to the expectations outlined in AXYS’s Code of Ethics.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent attitude and aptitude for analytical bench chemistry in a dynamic, fast-moving, team-based setting;
- B.Sc. Or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or related science;
- Well organized, self motivated and energetic personality;
- Strong time management skills and demonstrated initiative;
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently as necessary, to achieve team goals and objectives;
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Willingness to participate in flexible work schedules (including evenings and weekends); and
- Strong computer skills (Excel, MS Word, Outlook).
AXYS offers a competitive compensation and benefits package (including a performance-based incentive plan), in a professional yet informal lab setting. Opportunities to expand analytical skills with a growing organization, respected worldwide.
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position.
Applications that do not include resume or cover letter may not be considered.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.