Reports to: Product Manager
Travel: < 25%
Direct Reports: None
AXYS Analytical Services Ltd. is a growing specialty analytical company, delivering client-oriented results through scientific excellence in analytical chemistry for 40 years. AXYS data supports businesses of a global client base and frequently informs decisions of local and global environmental significance, from North America to Europe, Asia and the Polar Regions. Located on Canada’s Pacific coast in an area of pristine natural beauty and in close proximity to historic Victoria and cosmopolitan Vancouver, we offer the rare balance of a challenging and rewarding career combined with superb year-round recreational opportunities.
We are seeking a Product Development Scientist to join our product research team. This is a new position with AXYS and will provide a talented scientist an opportunity to be closely involved in the growth of AXYS’ contaminants and metabolomics product line.
Roles & Responsibilities
The role comprises a blend of responsibilities of up to three general areas, namely:
1. Method development:
- Develop methods using LC-MS/MS or GC-MS (as appropriate) techniques for the analysis of small molecule organic contaminants or endogenous metabolites. While development will be guided by the product manager/group and assisted by laboratory staff as necessary, a successful candidate is expected to plan, execute and troubleshoot the entire development process from scoping to validation and assist with product release
- Provide intellectual input and method development management in concert with the product manager to achieve project-specific development objectives and timelines
- Provide method development intellectual input to product group colleagues to support operational achievement of group development objectives and timelines
2. Outreach and publication
- Provide summaries and other materials for use by company staff involved in product sales and product analysis
- Provide technical sales/marketing collateral to assist on product release and support
- Produce and deliver presentations, posters and other scientific outreach for internal and external use
- Assist in the publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
3. Product Leadership
- Be an internal and external resource on contaminant and/or metabolomic analyses and applications, especially in area of prime expertise
- Maintain literature currency in specified area of expertise and develop understanding of AXYS product line and applications
- Provide troubleshooting resources for laboratory and client service staff
Skills and Experience
- Ph. D in analytical chemistry or a related discipline with demonstrated expertise in LC-MS/MS method development and specific expertise in mass spectrometry optimization and LC separations techniques; or MS with same demonstrated expertise and documented work experience in specific techniques of relevance
- Knowledge and expertise in sample preparation and cleanup techniques required to perform ultra-trace analysis in both environmental and biological samples
- Expertise in quantitative methods and statistical analysis.
- Experience and expertise in experimental design
- Understanding of quality control/quality assurance approaches to ensure validated, reproducible method performance in a commercial laboratory environment
- Service orientation.
- Collaborative, innovative and energetic orientation.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and direct both independent projects and work in a team oriented setting, responsive to both project and team needs.
- Scientific and professional ambition.
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to email@example.com, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position.
Applications that do not include resume or cover letter may not be considered.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.