Reports to: IA Manager
Type: Full time position
Location: Sidney, BC.
AXYS Analytical Services Ltd. is a growing specialty analytical company, delivering client-oriented results through scientific excellence in analytical chemistry for 40 years. AXYS data supports businesses of a global client base and frequently informs decisions of local and global environmental significance, from North America to Europe, Asia and the Polar Regions. Located on Canada’s Pacific coast in an area of pristine natural beauty and in close proximity to historic Victoria and cosmopolitan Vancouver, we offer the rare balance of a challenging and rewarding career combined with superb year-round recreational opportunities.
Reporting to the Instrumental Analysis Manager, the Instrumental Analyst is accountable for routine operation and maintenance of defined instrumentation, evaluation and quantification of chromatographic data, determination and implementation of remedial action, and ensuring final results meet client data quality objectives.
Instrumental Analysts adhere to analytical methods, verify that systems are functioning within project specifications, and operate according to designated staffing and production schedules. Responsibilities also include preserving sample integrity, expediting information transfer to other staff/departments, following company defined documentation practices, maintaining clean and organized workspace and functioning as quality control for the production system.
As a production position, the foremost goal is timely generation of client-appropriate, accurate, and defensible data.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Routine operation of designated instrumentation, while ensuring defined specifications are being met.
- Evaluation and quantification of chromatographic data quickly, accurately and completely to provide high quality results.
- Keeping accurate and proper documentation practices and ensuring that data deliverables meet expectations.
- Fast and considered decision-making to take remedial action as necessary.
- Team-participation in meeting production schedule deadlines and excellent communication with colleagues and supervisors to avoid or mitigate threats to meeting goals.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent attitude and aptitude for analytical chemistry and instrumentation in a dynamic, fast-moving, team-based setting.
- B.Sc. Or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or related science along with two years related experience with GC/MS or LC/MS/MS operation.
- Well organized, self motivated and energetic personality.
- Strong computer skills in routine office environment and experience with software related to instrument operation and data quantification.
- Strong time management skills and demonstrated initiative.
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently as necessary, to achieve team goals and objectives.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Willingness to participate in flexible work schedules (including evenings and weekends).
AXYS offers a competitive compensation and benefits package (including a performance-based incentive plan) in a professional yet informal lab setting with opportunities to expand analytical skills in a growing organization, respected worldwide.
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to email@example.com, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position. Due to the volume of applications, only those selected to move forward in the process will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.