Reports to: Director of Operations
Type: Full-time, Contract (Eight Months)
Location: Sidney, BC
Reporting to Director of Operations, and working closely with the SGS HSE group, the project coordinator for HSE integration will assist with structuring and implementing the framework to ensure AXYS is accountable for the Health, Safety, and Environment of personnel and the enforcement of all regulations per the SGS Health and Safety manual, and the immediate reporting of any health, safety or environmental incidents, accidents, or concerns to the manager/supervisor and H&S department for action. This position is a temporary contract with possibility of extension.
Scope & Expectations:
As a lead on this project, the project coordinator will demonstrate good and safe working habits, enforce a clean working environment and develop and maintain knowledge of good laboratory practices. Specifically, the project coordinator will undertake to develop procedures and ensure the following tasks are integrated and performed in-house:
- Dissemination of information from SGS corporate HSE;
- Provision of staff with information concerning internal Health and Safety policies;
- Support for national H&S strategies that enable the Company to adapt to future organizational needs and requirements;
- Reporting of any Health, Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to the Branch/Operations Manager and the Director of Health, Safety & Environment for action;
- Demonstration of good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment;
- Accountability for the delivery of the New Employee H&S orientation program;
- Assistance with incident investigations of lost time and medical aid accidents and incidents of a serious and potentially serious nature;
- Maintenance of Health and Safety statistics, training records, etc;
- Working with management and the Director of Health, Safety & Environment, development of modified work programs and early & safe return to work strategies;
- Emergency Response training, coordination and leadership;
- Provision of assistance to Branch/Operations Manager in the completion of Report Card Duties;
- Ensuring HSE representatives (including project manager) have valid an up-to-date First Aid training;
- Inventory control of PPE;
- Delivery of regulatory WHMIS training;
- Familiarity with environmental waste management requirements such as the Transportation Dangerous Goods and Manifesting, waste generation registration for hazardous waste, provincial documentation;
- Hazard assessments, improving equipment, processes and procedures as well as job Safety analysis;
- Participation, co-presentation or co-ordination of Health and Safety training sessions for management, supervision and hourly personnel on various Health and Safety topics.
- Attendance of Health and Safety courses and seminars to keep current with acceptable Health and Safety and environmental practices;
- Assistance with claims management when required to meet the necessary Workplace Safety and Insurance Board requirements;
- Acting as the company representative during Ministry of Labour inspections and investigations;
- Co-ordination of monthly Health and Safety meetings; and
- Special or ad hoc projects, periodically.
Joint Health and Safety Committee Responsibilities
- Promoting and improving Health and Safety while leading the Joint Health and Safety Committee;
- Assisting members who conduct formal monthly workplace Health and Safety inspections;
- Documenting all findings and communicates hazards or potential hazards to appropriate personnel;
- Assigning corrective actions, completion dates and follow up to ensure hazards are corrected;
- Referencing Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable Regulations to identify contraventions; and
- Adhering to the duties and functions of a Joint Health and Safety Committee member, as described in the O.H.S.A. and follow company procedures as set out in the Health and Safety Manual.
- As part of this project, the project coordinator will develop a working committee with identified leads from sample receiving and the lab technicians group to collaboratively identify how to implement and manage various aspects of risk management and reporting throughout the lab environment.
- The project coordinator reports to the Director of Operations.
- There are no positions directly reporting to the project coordinator role.
- Key internal contacts include:
- SGS HSE Group, primarily the Manager of HSE for BC
- Managers and supervisors within operations
- Human resources
- Must have a pro-active Health & Safety attitude;
- Understanding of HSE national requirements and how general provincial legislation applies within the SGS HSE program;
- Superior organizational, communications, and interpersonal skills are essential;
- Must be proficient in various types of computer software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.;
- A solid understanding of MS Project Management and Oracle applications, and/or other project management tools would be an asset;
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition;
- Ability to work well independently and with others;
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail; and
- Able to ensure full compliance with the Company’s Health and Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to email@example.com, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position.
Applications that do not include resume or cover letter may not be considered.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.