Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Type: Full Time position
Location: Sidney, BC.
AXYS Analytical Services Ltd. is a growing specialty analytical company, delivering client-oriented results through scientific excellence in analytical chemistry for 40 years. AXYS data supports businesses of a global client base and frequently informs decisions of local and global environmental significance, from North America to Europe, Asia and the Polar Regions. Located on Canada’s Pacific coast in an area of pristine natural beauty and in close proximity to historic Victoria and cosmopolitan Vancouver, we offer the rare balance of a challenging and rewarding career combined with superb year-round recreational opportunities.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the Laboratory Supervisor is accountable for organizing, monitoring and managing effective and efficient operations in the Lab Group, including identification and resolution of human resource, equipment, space and fiscal constraints, and working closely with the Operations Training Supervisor to ensure adequate support in identifying and scheduling training for laboratory staff.
This is a full-time position at 37.50 hours per week. Typical working hours are Monday to Friday, with some flexibility around starting time. Due to the nature of the position, occasional additional hours will be required.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage staff to meet production demands;
- Set staff work schedules and organizing work plans to meet production priorities;
- Identify performance weaknesses or excellence to mitigate threats or augment success in Chemist performance;
- Identify human or resource (equipment, space) constraints and suggesting mitigation options in advance of need;
- Assist the Lab Manager in the development of annual budget in concert with the overall Operations budget process, identifying and recommending alternate approaches to enhance operational performance aligned with plan;
- Solicit and take advantage of external input to the Lab’s operating plans to meet the Lab’s forecasted needs;
- Assist in the hire of new employees according to business plan, administer the company’s HR policies within the lab, including addressing performance and behavioural challenges, and making recommendations for staff advancement;
- Participate in the orientation and development programs for new employees to integrate them into the group and provide the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the work well;
- Engender and support a culture of leadership at all levels in the Lab;
- Develop and maintain positive working relations throughout the company;
- Ensure AXYS quality standards are known, understood and maintained to strengthen market reputation for quality results;
- Deliver high quality extracts to Instrumental Analysis at all times; and
- Adhere to the AXYS Code of Ethics & Legal Responsibilities.
Skills & Experience
- BSc. Or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or related science;
- Minimum 5 years of experience;
- Strong computer skills (Excel, MS Word, Outlook);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to plan and execute departmental plans;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment to achieve common goals and objectives;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Highly organized, self-motivated and energetic; and
- Strong time management and troubleshooting skills.
How to Apply
Please apply using the form at the right, including uploading your cover letter and resume. Direct questions to email@example.com, and please note the job you are applying for when you inquire. If you wish to apply to more than one job, please submit the form once for each position.
Applications that do not include resume or cover letter may not be considered.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who we Are
AXYS provides analytical services for principally North American clients in the public (federal, state/provincial & municipal), industrial and private (consultancy, university & NGO) sectors. Our methodology is based on GC-HRMS, LC-MS/MS and GC-MS analysis of organic compounds in human, animal, water, soil, air, effluent, sludge and sediment matrices. AXYS is recognized internationally as a world leader in the analysis of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs), multi-residue pesticides, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs), dioxins/furans and PCBs. AXYS actively conducts Method Development for emerging contaminants under contract to government and industrial clients, focused on measurement of novel contaminants, complex matrices and low detection limits with high scientific defensibility (e.g. USEPA methods 1614, 1694, 1698, 1699). The reputation for excellence is a direct result of the dedication and experience of staff focused on solving complex analyte-matrix combinations for clients over three decades, with dedicated client service staff and world-class senior environmental chemists.